Sunday 3 April 2011

Dorking Review Meets Sir Brent Burton-Trench On His 100th Birthday

Today we are honoured to be granted an interview with Dorking's foremost celebrity.

Born up the road in Leatherhead (within the Borough of Dorking) Sir Brent Burton-Trench remained until, aged eleven, he was sent away to boarding school. Alas he was never to return.

Now living on the Isle of Wight - actor, matinee idol, diarist, raconteur - Sir Brent invites Dorking's own Trainee Gossip Correspondent, Timothy Langton, to chat about his famous home and his celebrated life in the arts:-

 
TIM: Sir Brent. May I start by wishing you a happy birthday. And thanking you on behalf of Dorking for inviting me into your beautiful home.

 
SIR BRENT: Dear boy! The pleasure is mine.

TIM: You've heard from the Queen?

 
SIR BRENT: Ha! Yes! Very witty. Dear child.

 
TIM: You came to the Isle of Wight in the 1940s?

 
SIR BRENT: That's right. It was 1948. During the run of Coward's Private Lives at the Vaudeville. I remember us catching the late train to Portsmouth. After the Saturday night show. Then popping on the ferry straight after Sunday morning kippers and brown toast. It was love at first sight.

 
TIM: You imply "we".

 
SIR BRENT: Oh. Yes. My Assistant. Anthony.

 
TIM: Ah. Did you know Coward?

>
SIR BRENT: Know him! We were like brothers. I did all his plays you know. Blithe Spirit. Hay Fever. The Complete Works. Charming man Noel. Supported the Arsenal. I remember him taking me to the 1950 Cup Final. The Gunners. I'm sure that's what he called them. They won 2-0. Do you know what we did to celebrate?

>
TIM: No.

>
SIR BRENT: Went backstage to the team bathroom. Then Noel sang to the boys for a complete half an hour. Whilst they splashed about washing the mud off! All his famous songs. Entirely for free. They all loved him. Even footballers. He was like that Noel. Generous to a fault. Beautiful man. Yes.

>
TIM: Did Mr Coward ever come to the Isle of Wight.

>
SIR BRENT: Actually no. At least not to stay at Pitchers Bottom. But there's a reason for that. Coward hated the water you know.

>
TIM: Really?

>
SIR BRENT: Oh yes. Scared stiff of the sea. Sailed to America in '21 and was sick as a dog. Hated boats. Once the war ended, flew everywhere did Noel. Like a bird.

>
PAUSE

>
We had Novello to stay.

>
TIM: Ivor Novello?

>
SIR BRENT: Yes. Cole Porter, Lorenz Hart. They've all been in this room. At that same grand piano.

>
TIM: Didn't Ivor Novello write "We'll Gather Lilacs"?

>
SIR BRENT: Well yes. I believe he did.

>
TIM: My favourite song. "We'll walk together down an English Lane - Until our hearts have learned to sing again - When you come home once more".
Are you alright sir?

>
SIR BRENT: Fine! Don't mind me.

>
TIM: Have I said anything to upset you?

>
SIR BRENT: No dear boy. No. Sorry.

>
TIM: What was he like?

>
SIR BRENT: Who?

>
TIM: Ivor Novello?

>
SIR BRENT: Oh. Him.

>
TIM: Great song writer. Genius. Didn't he also write "Keep The Home Fires Burning"?

>
SIR BRENT: Yes, I believe he did.

>
Look..

>
If you must know, Novello was a bastard.

>
TIM: I have upset you haven't I?

>
SIR BRENT: No.

>
TIM: It was you who brought him up.

>
SIR BRENT: Quite. I really am most terribly sorry.
The song. We'll gather lilacs.
That English Lane. It's right there.
Outside the back door. Takes you down to Swanley's Folly. Pretty little lane. We'll gather lilacs.
Yes.
That was the last I saw of Anthony.

>
TIM: Sorry?

>
SIR BRENT: Novello. Stole my Assistant. Just like that. Left high and dry. After thirteen bloody years. Had to start signing my own photographs. Darn my own socks. Make the bed.

>
TIM: You never married?

>
SIR BRENT: Yes. What? Marriage? No. Thought about it of course. One always thinks about these things. Never seemed to come across the right girl. Never at the right moment. Ships passing in the night I suppose.

>
TIM: So you moved to the Isle of Wight.

>
SIR BRENT: Yes. Summer of 49. Seven thousand pounds this house cost me. Do you know what it's worth now?

>
TIM: Gosh I don't know. A fortune.

>
SIR BRENT: Go on. Take a guess.

>
TIM: A million pounds.

>
SIR BRENT. Treble it.

>
TIM: Three million.

>
SIR BRENT: And the rest.

>
TIM: Wow. Must be the finest house on the Island.

>
SIR BRENT: We did things to it naturally. Bathrooms. The pool. That rose garden. Yes.
Novello died suddenly you know. '51 that would have been. Bastard. Coronary thrombosis.

>
TIM: So your Assistant came back?

>
SIR BRENT: You mean Anthony? No. Anthony went to America. Drifted around I'm told. Usual stuff.
Started working for Rock Hudson apparently.

>
TIM: You keep in touch.

>
SIR BRENT: Mmm? Oh no. He died. I think. Yes.
That would have been the 80's.
Lots died around that time.
Back in those days.

>
TIM: You played Romeo on seven occasions.

>
SIR BRENT: That's right. The first was 1932. For the opening of the new theatre in Stratford. With Hermione Langrage as Juliet. And dearest Vernon Peacock as my Mercutio.
Yes. The last was at the Theatre Royal Windsor. Shortly after my sixtieth birthday. I remember the Duke of Edinburgh coming back after I'd taken seventeen curtain calls.
With Benjamin Britten as I remember.

>
TIM: You knew Britten.

>
SIR BRENT: But of course. Everyone did. Although it was Peter who was my closest friend.

>
TIM: The tenor Peter Pears.

>
SIR BRENT: Yes. They had the Red House in Aldeburgh and I had the Pink House in Pitchers Bottom. They came to stay for a fortnight every summer. Then I'd go back to theirs. Benjamin used to tease Peter that he and I were two shades of the same colour.

>
TIM: Some critics used to compare you to Sir John Gielgud.

>
SIR BRENT: Gosh, you have been doing your homework. Yes. That's true enough. Johnny and me were always going up for the same things.

>
PAUSE

>
What I mean is, we often went up for the same part. In a play. Or film.

>
TIM: Did you ever share the same stage?

>
SIR BRENT: Oh no. That would have been quite wrong. We both knew. We were far too similar you see. If one was giving his Hamlet the other would do his Henry. Of course we would always meet up afterwards. Lamb chops in the Savoy. Sparkling wine with spotted dick. The whole gang. Swap notes. Sign autographs. That sort of stuff.

>
TIM: Gielgud stayed here didn't he. At the Pink House?

>
SIR BRENT: How do you know that?

>
TIM: It's in Sir John's autobiography. Page 438.

>
SIR BRENT: Ah. You are referring to my Silver Jubilee Weekend Party in 1977. Yes, Johnny came. Along with half of London. As I recall he arrived on the Friday and left before breakfast on the Saturday. Tuppy Brimstone said something about Binkie Beaumont. Can't tell you what. Even now. Anyway, Johnny told Toad to organise an immediate departure. So yes. Johnny did stay. But only for one night.

>
TIM: Do you mind if I ask. Who was Toad? There's no reference to him in the Gielgud book.

>
SIR BRENT: Neither should there be. Toad was Johnny's Personal Assistant. He had nothing whatsoever to do with his public life.
Any gentleman must surely be allowed to draw the line somewhere.
Draw the distinction. Yes?

>
TIM: I see.

>
SIR BRENT: Yes. There's public and there's private. Ne'er the twain should meet.

>
He was a splendid chap Toad. Loyal to a fault. Did everything for Johnny. Right to the end.

>
TIM: Of course.
You love this Island don't you sir.

>
SIR BRENT: The Isle Of Wight. Oh yes. It's been more than a home. Or a haven. I suppose you could say it's been my mother. In a strange sort of way. Maybe my wife even. My sanctuary. It's...
PAUSE
People here are quiet. We keep ourselves to ourselves. The little things are far more important than the so-called big things. The stuff newspapers are interested in. The Tittle-tattle.

>
TIM: So you'll be staying here.

>
SIR BRENT: I shall die here. Hopefully in this chair. Chatting to someone pleasant such as yourself. Drinking a pink gin. If I'm lucky.

>
TIM: There's a reception this evening?

>
SIR BRENT: Yes.

>
TIM: And a dinner.

>
SIR BRENT: I know. The Lord Mayor has been very kind.

>
TIM: You must be excited.

>
SIR BRENT: Excited! Ah yes. I remember.
No dear boy. Excited isn't the word. Content.
You do realise I don't know anybody any more.
They've all gone.

>
TIM: You're getting the Freedom Of The Island.
That makes you friends with everyone.

>
SIR BRENT: How terrifying.

>
TIM: Mmmm. You're not afraid of anybody are you?

>
SIR BRENT: No. Not any more.

>
TIM: Did you ever get stage fright?

>
SIR BRENT: Oh yes. Once upon a time.
I was always scared of what people might think.

>
TIM: But now you're not.

>
SIR BRENT: No. There's no point any more.
Time's moved on.
Those days are long gone..

>
BEAT

>
You're coming tonight.

>
TIM: Me? You must be joking.
They always give two tickets to the Press.
One for the Editor and one for his wife.

>
SIR BRENT: I said you are coming.
I want you to come.
I want someone I can talk to.
I want you to be sitting there.
Beside me.

>
TIM: But..

>
SIR BRENT: No buts.
It's been decided.
Now be off with you.
Before I change my mind.

>
PAUSE

>
Can you drive?

>
TIM: Well yes as a matter of fact.

>
SIR BRENT: Good.
We'll take the Roller.
I take it you can drive a Phantom Rolls Royce?
Good.
Come back at seven.

>
TIM: But...

>
SIR BRENT: You've a date with a girl?

>
TIM: Oh no.
I haven't a girlfriend.

>
SIR BRENT: Good.
That's settled then.
Be here for seven.
Bring your toothbruth.

>
END

No comments:

Post a Comment